READ THE FOLLOWING RULES & REGULATIONS CAREFULLY
PROJECTS MUST MEET ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ENJAAZ*:
1. Short fiction film with a maximum of fifty nine (59) minutes or a short non-fiction film with a maximum of fifty one (51) minutes.
2. Directed by a film-maker of Gulf nationality or origin **.
3. Centered on the Arab world, Arab history and/or Arab culture.
4. Have a final script in Arabic or English.
5. Have a detailed budget and production schedule/timeline.
6. The original work of a sole author or collaboration with other authors.
SELECTION OF PROJECTS
- Only completed applications online as per the instructions listed in the online application form and the required documents section (“Enjaaz Online Application”) will be reviewed and considered. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Applicants will be informed in writing of the Enjaaz Committee’s decision, approximately eight (8) weeks after the closing date.
- The Enjaaz Committee’s decision is final. Enjaaz is not obliged in any way whatsoever for providing any justification and/ or comments regarding the reasons for non-selection of a project.
- Successful projects will receive successful letters from the Enjaaz Project Manager detailing the amount of the financial support and the way forward and requiring the authorized person to revert in writing whether by accepting or declining the funding within a certain number of days.
- Applicants of successful projects must enter into a production funding agreement (the “Enjaaz Agreement”) with us within a maximum of four (4) weeks following the acceptance of the funding.
CREDITS AND FIRST RIGHT OF REFUSAL
- The applicant must provide for our approval, proof of any financing for the project from other sources, whether in cash or in kind, that would be credited or acknowledged.
- Enjaaz shall be recognized as CO –PRODUCER or PRODUCER, as the case may be, of the film and is to be acknowledged with a prominent logo on the credits of the film as well as on publicity and all promotional materials relating to the film including but not limited to DVDs, internet, press releases and posters. More specific credit and compliance requirements will be described in Enjaaz Agreement.
- United Arab Emirates (UAE) is to be included as A COUNTRY OF PRODUCTION in all film materials.
- For the avoidance of doubt and unless otherwise agreed upon in writing between the applicant and us, we shall have the first right of refusal on the “World Premiere” of the submitted film for the subsequent edition of DIFF
- In the event that the right to host the film’s World Premiere is waived by us, the applicant warrants and undertakes that the film, or any part thereof, will not be commercially exhibited or released on any media platform (or window) in any country in the Arab World prior to DIFF hosting the MENA Premiere. For the avoidance of doubt, Arab World shall mean Algeria, Bahrain, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen.
COMPLETION OF THE FILM AND PAYMENT OF THE FUNDING
The film must be completed, at the latest, within twelve (12) months of signing the Enjaaz Agreement. In the event that the film will not be completed within these twelve (12) months, the applicant must notify us in writing of such delay providing details and demonstrating reasons for the delay and expected completion date. We hold the right, at our sole discretion, to grant an extension to the applicant or cancel its participation in the project and receive reimbursement of the funding in its entirety.
The payment schedule will be more clearly described in the Enjaaz Agreement, but following is a general description that may help successful applicants to plan their cash flow.
1) The first payment, of eighty percent (80%), will be issued one (1) month after the execution of the Enjaaz Agreement.
2) The second and final payment, of twenty percent (20%), will be issued upon submission and acceptance of:
- The final delivered version of the film
- Fulfilment of all contractual obligations
- A final cost report
UNSUCCESSFUL PROJECTS AND RE- SUBMISSION
- Projects that have been unsuccessful in their initial application to Enjaaz are eligible for resubmitting provided the applicant can demonstrate substantive changes since the initial application.
- Enjaaz Committee may invite an unsuccessful project to be resubmitted for a later deadline. This decision is made solely at the discretion of the Enjaaz Committee. The selected applicants will be notified.
- Dubai Entertainment and Media Organisation FZ-LLC (“DEMO”) is the owner and organizer of the Dubai International Film Festival (“DIFF”). Enjaaz is an initiative of DEMO. References to ‘we’, ‘us’, and ‘our’, are references to DEMO.
- During the submission, selection period and prior to the execution of the Enjaaz Agreement, in the event that the applicant is found to be in violation of any condition of the Rules and Regulations or any of the Enjaaz’s conditions for eligibility, we, at our sole discretion, may choose to cancel and eliminate such project from the successful Enjaaz project list.
- We will, in our sole discretion, decide on all issues and matters not foreseen by these Rules and Regulations and any of Enjaaz’s conditions and we reserve the right to update and/or cancel any or any part of these Rules & Regulations or any of Enjaaz’s conditions with no obligation to specifically contact or notify any applicant of any variation.
- The law applicable to the Rules and Regulations and to disputes arising out of the Rules and Regulations are the laws of the Emirate of Dubai and the federal laws of the United Arab Emirates applicable in the Emirate of Dubai. Disputes arising in connection with these Rules and Regulations shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the Emirate of Dubai.
- The applicant also understands and acknowledges that the Enjaaz Online Application and the present Rules and Regulations form a consolidated and unified document.
- Participation in Enjaaz and submission of the Enjaaz Online Application implies acceptance of these Rule and Regulations. It is the responsibility of the applicants or other authorized representatives submitting a project to ensure that they are lawfully entitled to enter a project in Enjaaz.
- The applicant hereby represents and warrants that he/she holds all rights in and to the project and its related materials and that he/she has the authority and capacity to submit the project and its related material for Enjaaz.
- Except as stated in the Rules and Regulations, the applicant acknowledges that we shall not be held liable or responsible in any manner whatsoever for any loss or damage of whatever type or nature incurred as a result of the submission, acceptance and/or funding the project. Furthermore, the applicant undertakes to indemnify and keep us indemnified against all liabilities, claims, demands, actions, costs, damages or loss arising out of the submission, acceptance and/or funding the project.
- Anti-Piracy Precautions: We undertake to take reasonable anti-piracy precautions. All film copies and associated copyrighted materials will be securely stored while on DIFF premises. Access is limited to our nominated staff only and all movement of film copies will be strictly monitored. No duplication or loaning is permitted and no copies will leave our custody and care.
* Unless a special waiver is granted by Enjaaz.
** Gulf nationality or origin is defined as directors from one or more of the following countries: Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Iraq and Yemen.
For any further information please write to Enjaaz