Thank you for your interest in volunteering for the Dubai International Film Festival!
“You may have seen the red carpets, the premieres, not to mention the celebrities, but did you take notice of the countless people dressed in black, rushing around in the background? Probably not! From UAE National women, who worked the press registration, to the countless others who worked the press conferences and screenings, all were volunteers who clocked in long hours and did so with a smile. They were on call for the festival and carried out their tasks with the utmost professionalism and friendliness.”
January 2005 issue of Liberty Magazine, an expatriate publication in the UAE.
BECOME A DIFF VOLUNTEER!
Dubai International Film Festival (DIFF) now presents the opportunity for film enthusiasts to work as unpaid volunteers. A range of positions is open for potential volunteers across the various operational aspects of the event. Just register and apply online here on this page and attend one of the Volunteer Recruitment Sessions held in November
WHY BE A VOLUNTEER FOR THE FESTIVAL?
By volunteering, you become an active partner in the operation of this event with a strong global appeal. It’s also an excellent opportunity to get involved with a cultural event. Volunteers who complete their obligation to DIFF are entitled to:
- DIFF screenings voucher for every shift completed that you may redeem for a ticket at DIFF Box office. It can be given to family and friends as well.
- Access to DIFF screenings once their shift is over
- An exclusive DIFF scarf to wear it while on duty
- A wonderful networking opportunity to meet new people and make friends with other film-lovers and those who appreciate cultural events
- The opportunity to enjoy a fun and rewarding cultural event
- Invitation to the ‘Volunteers Party’ at the end of the Festival
- A Certificate of Appreciation signed by the Festival Chairman
A food voucher for each completed shift during the festival
Benefits; DIFF offers on-site training by staff members, some of whom started off as volunteers
- An Opportunity to be nominated for Excellent Volunteer Award
- Letter of recommendation for good volunteers
WHAT SORTS OF THINGS MIGHT I BE DOING AS A DIFF VOLUNTEER?
- There are a number of interesting opportunities available at DIFF.
- Starting with office help prior to the event
- Assisting Guest Relations at the airport and hotels
- Ushering patrons at the various screening venues
- Helping to coordinate guest transportation
- Registering delegates and performing office duties at the Festival Headquarters at Dubai Media City and Madinat Jumeirah.
Some of the more important positions require a full-time commitment and working everyday, while others can be done on a more casual part-time basis. Details will be provided at the DIFF Recruitment Session to be held in early November.
WHAT AREAS WOULD I WORK IN AS A VOLUNTEER?
Volunteers will be required in the following departments:
- Human Resources & Volunteer Department
- Festival Administration Office
- Theater Operations
- Box Office & Customer Service
- Registration & Accreditation
- Headquarter Operations
- Guest Relations & Hospitality
- Marketing & Events
- Program Administration
- Government Relations & Protocol
- Dubai Film Market
- Dubai Filmmart
WHAT IS EXPECTED OF ME AS A VOLUNTEER?
- You must be over the age of 15
- Speak Arabic and English well. Knowledge of other languages, is highly valued.
- You will be expected to arrive on time for your volunteer Shifts.
- Follow instructions from your direct supervisor and remain dedicated to your responsibilities until the end of the assigned volunteer shift.
- Volunteers working at theatres will not have the opportunity to watch films while on duty
- Speak good English, Arabic an added advantage and knowledge of other languages, is highly valued.
Being a very visible and ‘frontline’ part of the DIFF team, volunteers must behave in a highly professional manner at all times while on duty, especially in the presence of guests, filmmakers and film talent
WHAT IS THE DIFF VOLUNTEER RECRUITMENT SESSION?
- The DIFF Orientation Session is the occasion when you sign up for the exact shifts that you will be working for prior and during the festival
- You will be provided with all the important information about volunteering for DIFF and there will be an opportunity for you to ask questions and obtain all the information you need at anytime
- Those applicants deemed suitable for volunteering for DIFF will be notified by e-mail regarding the precise time and location for the onsite DIFF Orientation Session
Note: The Volunteers Office will confirm the orientation day to the selected volunteers
ANYTHING ELSE I NEED TO KNOW?
All confirmed volunteers who are signed up for shifts will be kept informed with occasional e-mails about everything else they need to know, such as training and how to receive and access their benefits.
HOW CAN I BECOME A DIFF VOLUNTEER?
We are now closed on accepting volunteer applications for DIFF, however if you wish to be on our database and are interested in volunteering for future, please fill out the volunteer online application form.
To fill the online form, click here.
Please bring in a copy of your passport with valid UAE Visa page and one passport size photograph
DIFF Volunteer Orientation
- All Onsite training schedule for ARENA, SOUK, MOE and other departments will be emailed to confirmed volunteers ONLY
- Volunteers who have confirmed shifts can collect their Photo badge ID and Uniform from the HQ Info desk (Volunteer Office)
- Volunteer Office Location: Majlis Al Salam at Mina Al Salam
CONTACT US & MORE INFORMATION
Thank you once again for your interest in volunteering with the Dubai International Film Festival. Everyone involved with the festival appreciates the considerable contributions made by our many volunteers and understands that we need them to ensure that this year’s DIFF is an even bigger success than the last one.