The Dubai Film Market’s latest initiative Dubai Docs, is a pilot project established to raise the awareness of, and interest in, creative documentary film-making in the Arab world. Its primary objectives are:
1. To help selected producer/director teams from the region realise their documentary projects with the assistance of decision-makers from the region, Europe and the United States
2. To introduce the international professionals attending DIFF to creative documentary film-making in the Arab world
Dubai Docs, in association with AFAC, Screen Institute Beirut, DOCmed, BOSCH, CPH:DOX LAB, who are supporting documentary film-makers in the Arab region, will provide a three-day training and talent development programme for seven project teams. The event will culminate in the presentation of the projects at an open forum, to a group of selected international and regional documentary professionals.
In addition to attending Dubai Docs, the invited professionals will have the opportunity to familiarise themselves with creative documentary film-making in the region through the screenings of Arab documentaries in the festival programme and at Cinetech, the digital sales and acquisitions platform; by attending the Dubai Film Connection co-production market; and by participating in networking and round table sessions focusing on issues of international and regional importance.
- 8 producer/director teams with a creative doc project
- 8 observers (participants without a project – to be confirmed)
- 10-15 invited decision-makers including documentary producers, TV commissioning editors, distributors and sales agents, film funds and financiers, representatives of non-profit organisations.
- Dubai Docs will introduce the project teams to the Dubai Film Market, enable them to work effectively in the environment and help them pitch their projects by training the participants in pitching techniques.
Dubai Docs open forum 12 December 9:30 – 19:30
- Key note speaker on ‘creative documentaries’ and the relation between actuality and documentary storytelling.
- In the morning each project team will have 7 minutes to pitch their project including visual materials.
- The pitch will be addressed to the audience and a round table of professionals who have already indicated an interest in the projects and a moderator. Following each pitch there will be 7 minutes for a Q & A session.
- In the afternoon there will be one-on-one meetings with the attending professionals.
- The event ends in the Koubba Bar from 18:00 – 19:30.