Rules & Regulations
Submissions Now Closed
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING RULES & REGULATIONS CAREFULLY
- All applications must have a director and a producer attached. The director and producer of the project cannot be the same person.
- Directors must be a national of a country that is a member of the Gulf Cooperation Council as detailed in Appendix 1 herein.
- The producer can be of any nationality.
- Directors must have previous directing experience – short films, features, TV dramas, TV commercials etc.
- Producers should have a track record in production.
The Film Project
- The film project must be a feature-length (exceeds 75 minutes) fiction film intended for theatrical distribution.
- The film project must be in an advanced stage of development.
2- SELECTION PROCESS
- Part or all of the information provided with the application will be held on computer and be used by the Festival Organizers for the administration of applications. The Festival Organizers may provide copies of the information in confidence to individuals or organisations that are assisting the Festival Organizers to assess applications and may also be shared in connection with these purposes with IWC .
- The Festival Organizers will solely appoint a selection committee to review all applications. The committee will at its own discretion short-list 3 film projects by the end of October, 2014.
- If a film project is short-listed for the IWC Filmmaker Award, the Festival Organizers will inform the film project submitter by the first half of November, 2014 and will advise of further requirements and next steps.
- It is imperative to understand that the Festival Organizers hereby reserves the first right to announce the short-list of selected film projects. The submitter of the selected film project shall in no case or in any manner whatsoever prior to the announcement by the Festival Organizers of the short-listed projects publicly confirm and announce that the submitter’s film project has been short-listed for the IWC Filmmaker Award.
- If a film project has not been short-listed, the Festival Organizers will inform the film project submitter by letter. For the avoidance of doubt, the decision of the Festival Organizers is final and binding and the Festival Organizers are not obliged in any way whatsoever to provide any justification and / or comments regarding the reasons for non-selection of a film project.
- The three short-listed film projects will be invited to the 11th Edition of DIFF in December, 2014 to participate in the Dubai Film Market.
- In the event that the submitter of a film project is found to be in violation of any condition of the Selection Process stated herein, the Festival Organizers at its sole discretion may chose to cancel and eliminate such film project from the selected short-list.
3- IWC FILMMAKER AWARD
- IWC will solely and at its own discretion select the film project winner of the IWC Filmmaker Award which will be announced during the 11th Edition of DIFF in December, 2014.
- There will be one IWC Filmmaker Award of US$ 100,000 granted to a one of the short-listed film projects.
- It is imperative to understand that the Festival Organizers hereby reserves the first right to announce the winner of the IWC Filmmaker Award. The winning film project submitter shall in no case prior to the announcement by the Festival Organizers, publicly confirm and announce receipt of the IWC Award.
- In the event that the film project winner is found to be in violation of any condition of the IWC Filmmaker Award stated herein, the Festival Organizers at its sole discretion may choose to cancel and eliminate such film project from receiving the award.
4- Rules & Regulations
- Film Projects must be submitted by its respective rights holder.
- The winner of the IWC Filmmaker Award of USD 100,000 will be required to give the Festival Organizers the first right of refusal to host the film’s World Premiere in DIFF or GFF as per the Festival Organizers discretion.
- The winner of the IWC Filmmaker Award will be required to enter into a finance agreement with the Festival Organizers.
- The award money will be given to the director of the winning film project and it is preferable that the director also owns the rights to the film project. The Festival Organizers may require the director to provide the chain of title if the rights to the film project did not originally rest with the director.
- In the event that the director is not the rights holder of the winning film project, the award money will be given to the director of the winning film project with the understanding that the award money is intended for the production of the named winning project with that specific director attached to the project.
- In the event that the director of the winning project is replaced with another director at some later date, any funds disbursed will need to be repaid in full to the festival. Such condition will be reflected in the finance agreement and any breach thereof will be considered as a material breach and shall entitle the festival to seek legal measures against the director and producer in the event that the funds are not returned in full.
- The IWC Filmmaker Award will be disbursed in two phases. Fifty percent of the prize money (US$ 50,000) will be released following the announcement of the winner at the DIFF December, 2014 and upon signing of the finance agreement with the Festival Organizers as mentioned above. The remaining fifty percent (US$ 50,000) will be disbursed upon a) the commencement of principal photography and b) when the award winner can demonstrate that 80% of the total financing required for the film project is in place (this threshold may vary depending on the production budget).
- The Festival Organizers solely reserves the right to request supporting materials from the winning film project in order to release the second 50% of the award and ensure that the conditions of the finance agreement have been met. This may include and is not limited to production schedules, production budgets, day out of days, crew agreements, equipment rental agreements and financing guarantees.
- The Festival Organizers and IWC may at any point request to attend the set of the shoot.
- The rights holder of the winning film project will be required to ensure that the project film is produced in accordance with the requirements and all applicable laws and statutes.
- The rights holder of the winning film project will be required to provide certain delivery materials to the Festival Organizers, the costs of which must be borne by the rights holder.
- The rights holder of the winning film project will be required to provide the Festival Organizers with certain screening rights which are outlined in the finance agreement.
- In the event that the winning film project does not go into production within 24 months from the date of the announcement of the IWC Filmmaker Award, the offer to receive the second 50% of the award money will be withdrawn.
The winning film project must include the following sentence in the end-credits of the film:
“Produced with the support of the IWC Filmmaker Award and the Dubai International Film Festival 2014”
[IWC Schaffhausen Logo] [DIFF Logo]
Logos will be provided by DIFF.
6- APPLICATION AND SUBMISSIONS
The application and all materials must be submitted in English. Only the film script will be accepted in either Arabic or English.
Material to be submitted
- A completed application form
- Synopsis of 1- 2 pages
- Full treatment (8-10 pages)
- Full script
- Director’s motivation/visual concept
- Director’s biography
- Producer’s biography
- Company profile(s)
- Budget outline
- Finance plan
- Director’s previous work. Online links to short films. Otherwise, please send us four copies of a DVD containing sample(s) of the director’s previous work by courier.
Deadlines: Entries must be submitted before August 15, 2014 by completing the Application Form (www.diff.ae) in both Arabic and English (when/if applicable) prior to sending the DVDs or private link of the films. Applications and/or material must reach the Festival Organizers before the same date of August 15, 2014. Any applications and/or material received after the above deadline will not be accepted.
Submitted Material: The submitted material consists of the requested documents and either online links or 4 DVDs with examples of the Directors previous work to be couriered to the address below. The submitted DVD(s) must be .vob and can be of any region. If the original version of the film is not in English, the submitted DVD(s) or link must be subtitled in English.
Submission Shipping: All shipping costs of the submitted material must be borne by the submitter/sender (Please note that it is recommended to use a courier for shipping submissions as regular post does not guarantee any expected arrival date). For the avoidance of doubt, the submitted material will not be returned to the submitter/sender. All submissions should be sent directly to the hereunder address with “For cultural use only” and “Without commercial value” clearly marked on the envelope.
Attention: IWC Award
Dubai International Film Festival
Dubai Media City, DMC 2 (CNN Building)
1st floor - Management Office
Al Sofouh Street
(P.O. Box 502600)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Tel: +971 4 367 6710
Fax: +971 4 367 2892
7- ACKNOWLEDGMENT AND UNDERTAKING
Submission of a film project for consideration for the IWC Filmmaker Award implies acceptance of the Rules & Regulations.
The submitter hereby represents and warrants that he/she holds all rights in and to the film project and its related materials and that he/she has the authority and capacity to submit the film project and its related material for the IWC Filmmaker Award.
The submitter undertakes to indemnify and keep DIFF and the Festival Organizers indemnified against all liabilities, claims, demands, actions, costs, damages or loss arising out of the submission, acceptance and/or selection of the film project and/or its related material.
The submitter also understands and acknowledges that the IWC Filmmaker Award Application Form and the present Rules & Regulations form a consolidated and unified document and that therefore the IWC Filmmaker Award Application Form shall be considered as incorporated herein by reference.
8- ADDITIONAL TERMS
The Festival Organizers will decide in its discretion on all issues and matters not foreseen by these Rules & Regulations. The Festival Organizers further retains the right to permit exceptions to the application of these Rules & Regulations at any time in its discretion.
9- GOVERNING LAW AND JURISDICTION
The Rules and Regulations will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Emirate of Dubai and the federal laws of the United Arab Emirates and any disputes arising out of the execution of the Rules and Regulations will be referred to jurisdiction of the United Arab Emirates Courts.
List of Gulf countries: United Arab Emirates, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Kingdom of Bahrain, Sultanate of Oman, Qatar.