A patient, powerful exploration of whether forgiveness and reconciliation are possible even after the most inhuman brutality, Mahamat-Saleh Haroun's Daratt is set in the aftermath of a vicious civil war in Chad. On coming of age, Atim (Ali Bacha Barkai), in handed a gun by his grandfather and told to avenge the murder of his father, who was killed many years before. Atim searches for and finds his father's killer: Nassara (Youssouf Djaoro), once a man of brutal violence, now a respected baker in his twilight years. Unable to kill Nassara instantly, Atim finds himself working with him in the bakery. Together they bake bread and, very slowly, an unexpected warmth creeps into their uneasy relationship. But is it enough to quell the desire for revenge? Daratt won the Special Jury Prize at this year's Venice Film Festival.
Cast & Credits
- Producer: Abdul Rahman Sissako
- Cinematographer: Abraham Haile Birul
- Editor: Marie-Helene Dozo
- Composer: Dana Farzanehpour
- Cast (in alphabetical order): Ali Bacha Barkai, Aziz Hisseine, Djibril Ibrahim, Fatime Hadje, Youssouf Djaoro